Maybe Matilda: April Reading

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

April Reading

A belated look back today at my April book choices . . . and it turns out I didn’t read a whole lot in April (a theme we may be revisiting in May, now that we’re nearly halfway through the month and I’ve got a whopping half-a-book under my belt). I may not have gotten much reading done in April, but at least I enjoyed what I read.

April 2014 Reading List // www.maybematilda.com

The All-Girl Filling Station’s Last Reunion (Fannie Flagg)
This cute read jumps back and forth between an older Southern lady who discovers a surprising secret about her origins, and a spunky, lovable family of sisters who were among the first female pilots during World War II. Not a life-changer, but very fun and light and enjoyable. I’d give it 3-4 out of 5 stars.

Hex Hall (Rachel Hawkins)
Quite honestly, I doubt I would have finished this if I had actually sat down and just read it, but I listened to the audiobook and it worked out well for me. I really struggle with audiobooks—they have to be absolutely mindless and light for me to be able to pay attention to them—and this one was just what I needed. An easy listen, it follows Sophie, a young witch, through her first year at a reform school for wayward magical kids. It was eerily reminiscent of Harry Potter (to the point of annoyance), but fell far, far short of it. All the same, it was fun to listen to. 2-3 out of 5 stars.

Dreams of Gods and Monsters (Laini Taylor)
I cannot say enough good things about Laini Taylor and this series. This is the third installment in her Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy, and I’m honestly a little depressed that the series is over now (but am hoping, hoping, hoping with all the hope in my little heart that she is angling for a spinoff series). I keep sitting here, trying to think of a succinct way to summarize it, and really can’t come up with much of anything. So just know that I think it is absurdly creative, outrageously imaginative, beautifully written, and totally engrossing. I’m not an enthusiastic fan of young adult novels or fantasy, as a general rule, but Taylor won me over with this series. 5/5 stars.

Did you read anything great in April?

2 comments :

  1. Ok, so the Springtime Reading Slump must be a "thing" because I haven't finished a book in May either. It's like my goodreads challenge tracker keeps taunting me with it's "2 books behind schedule" reminder. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's obnoxious, isn't it? I'm so proud of myself when my tracker says I'm ahead, and so annoyed at it when it tells me I'm behind. Jerky tracker.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...