Maybe Matilda: S’mores Cookie Bars

Monday, May 19, 2014

S’mores Cookie Bars

This is one of those recipes I have to be careful not to make too often, because whatever miniscule amount of self-control I possess goes flying out the window when these S’mores Cookie Bars are around. Luckily, I made these for a recent get-together with some friends of ours, so it was the perfect excuse to make and enjoy them without being able to finish half the pan myself. (And our friends were even nice enough to pretend not to notice that I had removed half the bars from the pan to photograph before we got together, then tried my best to smoosh them all back into place before we dug in. Now that’s some quality friendship.)

S'mores Cookie Bars // www.maybematilda.com

These are such a delicious, fun treat—graham cracker cookie dough layered with marshmallow fluff and thick, melted chocolate. It’s rich and lickable warm from the oven, but I like it best after it’s had a chance to sit for a few hours or overnight. Irresistible.

I’ve made these bars probably a dozen times over the last few years, but for this most recent version, I tried using cinnamon graham crackers instead of the plain honey kind, thinking it would give it a special little kick. To be honest, I really couldn’t even taste the cinnamon, so if you go with cinnamon graham crackers, maybe try adding a little ground cinnamon to the cookie dough to bring out that flavor and let me know how it goes!

S’mores Cookie Bars
slightly adapted from Baking Bites

1/2 cup softened butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/3 cups flour
1 cup cinnamon or honey graham cracker crumbs (about 7 full cracker sheets)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 giant-sized milk chocolate bars (7 ounces each)
7 ounce container marshmallow fluff

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9-inch square baking pan, or line with parchment paper.

Cream butter and sugars in stand mixer until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and mix. Add flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder, and salt, and mix to combine.

Divide dough in half. Press half of the dough into the bottom of the pan. Top with chocolate bars, breaking to fit evenly over the dough (you’ll have some left over—I trust you can find a good use for it). Spread marshmallow fluff evenly over the chocolate bars. Press remaining dough into ‘pancakes’ and place over the fluff, covering as much as possible.

Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until the top of the bars is golden brown. (If possible, let them sit overnight or refrigerate for a few hours before cutting and eating—these are even better on day 2!)

9 comments :

  1. omg Rachel those look incredible. I have a weird thing for smores ANYTHING, so I will definitely be trying these out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one evil post :) I made it once and my hubby frequently asks me to make it again. It's a sugar bomb!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello. I saw this beautiful shawl and is now really tempted to try making it. Is the pattern still free and available?

    ReplyDelete
  4. So Nate is a s'mores lover but he's also a s'mores purist. I wonder if he'd go for these or not because they look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG!! Now you're talkin Rach! Good good. *thumbs up*

    ReplyDelete
  6. THESE ARE THE MOST AMAZING THING IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD!!! Speaking from experience, of course. I have been dreaming about these since you brought them, and I've been meaning to harass you for the recipe ever since. :) Looks like now I don't have to! Nom nom nom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know you're a Mom when you look at recipes and think -"Oh man, those look Amazing!...and messy. Very messy. I'll either have to eat them all myself or sit the kids in the bathtub to give them one." *hides pan of cookies in the top cabinet.*

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...