Maybe Matilda: September 2015 Books

Monday, September 28, 2015

September 2015 Books

Dude, I read A WHOLE LOT of books this month. I'm going to pretend that this has no correlation with the amount of laundry left unwashed or children going unbathed, and choose to be pleased with myself instead. Go me! *ignores dirty, Oliver Twist-looking offspring while high-fiving self*

Short and Sweet book reviews
This post has the potential to get just as long as any one of these books, so I'll try to keep these reviews very short and sweet.

Shutter by Courtney Alameda :: A YA horror about a teen girl who hunts and captures evil spirits; she is haunted (puns!!) by the death of her mother and brothers. If this seems bizarrely out of my norm . . . I didn't choose it (read for book club). I enjoyed it, but not really my type. See the awesome book club get-together for this book HERE.

Safekeeping by Jessamyn Hope :: Adam, a NYC drug addict, heads to a kibbutz in Israel to track down his grandfather's long-lost love and return to her a medieval brooch handed down through generations. Lots of content--language galore, sex, drugs, a bit of violence--but despite some complaints, I enjoyed it quite a bit.

The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult :: My second Picoult, after loving Leaving Time last month. Sage, granddaughter of a Holocaust survivor, befriends an elderly man who confides in her that he was a Nazi SS guard. I absolutely loved the grandmother's portion of the story, but was less interested in Sage's story line. Still liked it a lot though.

The Knockoff by Lucy Sykes :: The editor-in-chief of Glossy magazine returns to work after a hiatus to find the company unrecognizable after being rebooted as a modern, techy, social media-driven mystery. Silly and light and fun.

The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd :: After years of pouring her life into making others' lives possible, Jessie rediscovers herself and uncovers the mysteries of her past while caring for her (crazy?) mother. Widely hated on Goodreads, but I really enjoyed it. I wrote a longer review on Goodreads, if you're interested.

Modern Romance by Aziz Ansari :: 'An exploration of the pleasures and perils of modern romance.' This was so-so for me. I listened to the audio, which I think made it better than it would have been otherwise. But still just 'meh.' I can't say I'd recommend it, unless you really love Aziz Ansari.

Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn :: A reporter must reconnect with her neurotic mother and unknown half-sister to report on violent crimes in her hometown, which eerily mirror her own tragic past. Another audiobook that was so not for me. I didn't like it at all.

First Impressions by Charlie Lovett :: Antiquarian book seller and Austenite Sophie is drawn into a mystery that casts doubt on the true authorship of Pride & Prejudice. Dual narratives alternate between Sophie's search to find the truth, and a young Jane Austen's friendship with a cleric and fellow writer. A bit over-the-top and cheesy at times, but so much fun . . . especially if you are something of an Austen nut and/or old book lover yourself. After enjoying this one, I can't wait to read The Bookman's Tale by the same author.

Five Quarters of the Orange by Joanne Harris :: After nearly 60 years away, Framboise Dartigen returns to the village of her youth in secret; she and her family were driven out by neighbors who blamed a local tragedy on her mother during the German occupation. A teensy summary cannot do this book justice--the writing is exquisite, and the story is heartbreaking and beautiful. 5 big stars. I loved it to tears.

The Hypnotist's Love Story by Liane Moriarty :: Ellen, a mild-mannered professional hypnotherapist, eagerly begins a new relationship, then discovers that he is stalked by his ex-girlfriend. Far from being repelled, she is intrigued. It wasn't my favorite of Moriarty's, but not my least favorite, either.

What did you read this month?

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...